Born in Houston, Texas, John attended the University of Texas, where he was a member of the basketball team which won two Southwest Conference championship titles and the 1978 National Invitational Tournament. He received his B.A. (American Studies) in 1980. Following his graduation, John played basketball professionally in Europe before returning to enter Baylor University School of Law, from which he graduated in 1984.
John was admitted to the Texas State Bar in 1984 and joined Minton, Bassett, Flores & Carsey, P.C. Since joining the firm, John has concentrated on civil litigation, family law and criminal defense. With his background in college and professional sports, he has successfully represented a number of well known athletes and coaches in various matters. He also has an expansive list of Fortune 500 companies who turn to him for representation in critical matters. John also currently serves as Managing Partner of the firm.
John enjoys sports of every kind, cooking and travel.
- Criminal Defense
- Civil Litigation
- Family Law
- Texas, 1984
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida
- Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas, 1984: Doctor of Jurisprudence
- University of Texas, Austin, TX, 1980: Bachelor of Arts
- Travis County Bar Association, 1984 – Present, Member
- State Bar of Texas, 1984 – Present, Member
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 1984 – Present, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Life Fellow – Texas Bar Foundation
- Phi Delta Phi
- Sigma Nu
- Texas Silver Spurs